Thursday, March 7, 2013

Hello Gonorrhea Welcome Back- Antibiotic Resistant STDs

A young lady came to the ER complaining of "stankness" from her vajayjay and some abdominal pain. I asked her for a urine sample to do the pregnancy test and send off the standard urine testing.  In the mean time her and her mother settled into the GYN exam room.   When I returned to the room she was already changed.  She asked me the results of her pregnancy test which was negative.  Her mother nodded approvingly.  I asked the patient if she wanted to have her mom wait in the waiting room until after the exam was complete, she declined, and said her mom could stay.  

A resident came and introduced himself.  He asked her about her history which she offered up including dates of treatments and course of treatment. 

After the exam was done and the culture obtained the patient sat up.  The doctor told her she probably had gonorrhea.  Out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of her mom... she didn't look shocked.  I was expecting shocked.  

Her mom looked at the doc and says, "You better giver her something stronger this time. She had this a month ago and the medicine didn't work."

The doctor then asks the patient, "So you had this last month, did you finish the prescription?"

She responded, "Yeh, I did but I don't think it worked, because it came back again."

The doctor went on to explain that she had to abstain from sex and that her partner would need to be tested and treated.  The patient responded that she understood.  When asked about the kind of birth control she was using, she replied that she wasn't using any.  Concerned the doctor explained the risk of other STDs and the increased chances of fertility problems down the road.  The patient then explained that the only person she has unprotected sex with is her boyfriend, and that the other guys have to wear condoms.  

Again out of the corner of my eye I look at the mother's response, still no shock.  

That's when the mother says, "Well I just think that stuff she has mutated."

While my thinking is that it might have had to do with the multiple sex partners and no protection her mother might be on to something.  

Just when you thought that gonorrhea was bad now we do in fact have antibiotic strains.  

No comments:

Post a Comment