Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dear Resident Your Mother Should Have Named You Richard!

There is nothing worse than a cocky almost 3rd year resident.  Oh how I can't wait until he goes across town to do trauma rotations, I'm going to give my sisters a heads up.  Besides the trauma nurses like chewing up and spitting out residents from other programs! 

Prime example why this Resident's mommy should have named him Richard...

Young man with a history of Chron's disease and a new port a cath comes in with a heart rate of 160, a temp of 101.7 and c/o vomiting and pain for 2 days.  The patient is well known to the peds er, and is now an adult patient.

So I ask the Resident, let's change his name and call him DICK,  at 645 am, "...can I get a round of Dilaudid for him, he's in a lot of pain and it's been a few hours.  He's still tachy after 3 liters but improved and he no longer has a fever. 

Dick's response "No, why would we do that.  It's just perfect timing that he now has pain right on time, I'm not convinced he's in that much pain".



I look over at the two attendings and then ask the attending assigned,  "Dilaudid 2mg IV and benadryl 25 mg IV, please."

The attending responds, "whatever you think he needs.  Thank you for taking care of him."

At the end of night shift both attendings apologize for Richard's antics and tell me that they too have had enough of his BS!  

No comments:

Post a Comment