Sunday, February 24, 2013

Greedy Hospitals Broken System! Welcome to US Health Scare!

So I just read the Time Magazine article "Bitter Pill" by Steven Brill and I am pissed.  Okay I don't know about the other nurses out there, but hospitals charging "$414 per hour" for my services and I'm being paid less than $40 an hour.  Are you kidding me?  So while I am busting my arse because apparently our budgets don't support additional staff, and I manage 5-9 sick and critical patients in the ER, you almighty administrator are profiting off my 12 hours with no break, fear of making a mistake, fear of losing my license and guilt because I can't care for my patients the way I would want my loved one cared for.  I am sickened by the sham that has become the medical system.

How dare you charge $13,702 for injection of a medication for a dying cancer patient that only cost your hospital $3,500-- and you call yourself a non-profit hospital...  it looks to me that you are making one hell of a profit.  Do you know what's worse than the big bankers that tanked the US economy, that's right the CEOs, administrators, VPs and presidents of hospitals along with the sell out congress who care nothing about the people of this country.  Instead of investing in the health of patients the American Hospital Association spent "$1,859,041 on lobbyists" in Washington in 2012.  Even more disgusting was that "health care" lobbyists were paid $5.36 billion since 1998. And what did nursing get from that.  I know my state doesn't have nurse to patient ratios, because it's too expensive.  God we don't even have enough staff to take breaks.  

How is it that we do not have regionally matched pricing for services?  They should change the "Chargemaster" to the "You're ScrewedMaster"!  Patient's have no idea what they will be charged for services.  

A visit to the ER is like being blindfolded at an unknown car dealership, going for a test-drive, signing a purchase contract all while you are still blindfolded, and when you finally drive off the lot the the blindfold is removed and you find yourself sitting in a Ferrari you can't possibly afford nor return to the dealer.  

There has to be a better way of doing business.  

I highly encourage you read the Time Magazine Article.  






No comments:

Post a Comment